Panasonic has announced that they will release a major firmware update for its GH5, GH5s and G9 Micro Four Thirds cameras. The release date of the firmware updates scheduled for October 2018.
All three cameras will benefit from the first improvement which is about the AF performance. This is about the cameras tracking performance in continuous AF and it will be improved by optimising the tracking algorithm.
Improvement of AF performance: GH5S, GH5, G9
- There were cases where focus point was shifted to the background while tracking the subject in AFC mode. The new firmware minimises this problem.
- Tracking performance in continuous AF has been improved by optimising the tracking algorithm.
- The subject is tracked even if it moves actively, such as in sports scenes where the focus previously shifted to the background.
- There were cases where focus point was shifted to the background while tracking the subject in video recording. The new firmware minimises this problem.
- The accuracy of detecting the subject has been improved by optimising the focus area settings and tracking speed. The point of focus remains on the subject instead of shifting to the background.
Improvement of stability during HDMI output: GH5S
- Operating stability during VFR (Variable Frame Rate) recording through HDMI output has been improved.
Improvement of video recording performance: GH5S, GH5
- [One Push AE] failed to operate when [SS/Gain Operation] is set to [ANGLE/ISO] while shooting in Creative Video M mode. This bug has been fixed.
- The image quality when using [V-LogL] for VFR recording in Creative Video mode has been improved.
- The image quality when set to [i.Dynamic (Intelligent Dynamic Range Control)] has been improved.
Improvement of operation under specific lighting conditions (fluorescent lights, etc) GH5S, G9
- There were cases where the camera did not catch up to the brightness change smoothly under specific lighting conditions such as fluorescent lights. The new firmware minimises this problem.