Hasselblad had a chance to make this a medium format camera worth buying till they decided to only make it HD 25p…when 24MP cameras like the Sony A6300 has HD 50p and 4K 25p built in, though it should be a great photographic tool by all accounts. The price of £5990 is body only then your 45mm lens will be a further £2009 !
Personally I think Hasselblad were looking to squeeze a medium format camera into a smaller form factor and a price to attract newer professionals who cannot afford their dearer system cameras…Game Changer…you decide !
Hasselblad is proud to introduce the groundbreaking X1D – weighing less than half that of a conventional digital medium format camera, the mirrorless 50MP camera is a game changer in the world of photography.
Inspired by the brand’s iconic design heritage, the camera is ergonomic and compact, offering a handling experience unlike any other. Handmade in Sweden, the X1D combines Scandinavian sensibility with beautiful performance.
Like the iconic V System, the X1D seamlessly combines portability with excellent optical quality for which the brand is renowned. Hasselblad has ingeniously introduced mirrorless technology to digital medium format for the first time ever, creating a precision performance camera that can sit in the palm of your hand. The 50MP CMOS sensor captures the finest details with true natural colours.
Commenting on the announcement Perry Oosting, Hasselblad CEO noted: “The X1D marks a pivotal point in Hasselblad’s rich 75-year history. This camera makes medium format photography available to a new generation of Hasselblad users, while pushing the existing limits of photography to new heights.”
A completely new family of dedicated autofocus lenses has been developed to support optical quality and portability, offering a wide range of shutter speeds and full flash synchronisation up to 1/2000th second.
Weighing just 725g and including HD video, Wi-Fi and built-in GPS, the X1D is a trusted partner and ideal travel companion. The robust exterior is dust and weather proof, providing durability to take with you wherever you go.
The X1D has been created with passionate photographers in mind, opening up Hasselblad to a new generation of creatives. Ideal for those who want to create the highest quality medium format images with a straightforward and easy to use camera that can fit in the palm of your hand.
- Compact, lightweight (725g), highly portable and user-friendly medium format technology
- Large 50MP CMOS medium format sensor delivering up to 14 stops of dynamic range
- New line of XCD lenses with integral central shutter; 45mm and 90mm available at launch
- Compatible with all 12 lenses and lens accessories from the Hasselblad professional H System (adapter required)
- Multiple image format options
- High quality XGA electronic viewfinder or high resolution rear display with touch functionality
- Wide range of shutter speeds: 60 minutes to 1/2000th sec. with full flash synchronisation throughout the range
- An ISO range from 100 to 25,600
- Dual SD card slots, GPS and Wi-Fi
- USB 3.0 Type-C connector, Mini HDMI, Audio In/Out
- Weather and dust sealings
- HD video
- Phocus 3.1 for simple and quick raw image processing. Adobe Photoshop® and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom® compatible.
First thoughts… For a 50MP medium format camera I was expecting at least 4K video features, at the moment there is only 2 lenses available the 45mm f3.5 and the 90mm f3.5 but is compatible with all 12 lenses and lens accessories from the Hasselblad professional H System (adapter required). This will be one camera that third party Canon\Nikon lenses won’t fit.