Sony have now disclosed the new firmware due out in March 2012 for the NEX-FS100 and the HXR-NX70.
NEX-FS100 Improvements due March 2012
1. 60(59.94)Hz /50Hz (NTSC/PAL) switchable feature. FS100E can have the 60p(59.94p), 60i (59.94i),30p(29.97p) and 24p(23.98p) recording modes
2. Camera Profile (camera setting saved in a memory card) It allows users to recall the previous camera settings easily. It also helps multi-camera shooting preparation.
3. Expanded Focus (x4/x8, selectable focus area) It allows user to select the magnification size and area to be expanded.
4. ISO sensitivity display. For users who are familiar with traditional filming term, it will be possible to switch between ISO and Gain (dB) display.
5. Focus feet, Shutter angle display. For users who are familiar with traditional filming term, it will be possible to switch between feet and meter for focus position display when an E-mount lens is used. Also, switchable between second and degree for shutter speed display.
6. Variation added for “Aspect markers”
7. Compatibility with new A-mount to E-mount adaptor [LA-EA2] with Translucent Mirror Technology Auto Focus operation is available with Sony A-mount alpha lens
HXR-NX70 Improvements due March 2012
1. Improvement of zoom rocker operation (Selectable zoom speed) The maximum speed of zooming via the zoom rocker key will be selectable for more smooth zooming.
2. Simultaneous Rec. with internal memory (96GB) and removable memory card.The secure hybrid recording can offer reliable backup recording.
3. 1280×720/50p additional recording mode. Good for web-based movie with smaller data than 1080 or for compatibility with existing 720p system.
4 Assignable keys
5. Last Scene Review feature. One-touch playback of a recorded clip
6. Face detection window can be turned off by “Display on/off” for line-out purpose
7. “Zebra” and “Histogram” can be turned on by “Display on/off” for line out purpose.
Clean output for an external recorder, monitor etc.
So there you have it Sony do listen to their customers and we can expect some fantastic new features on the FS100 and the NX70 come March 2012. As an owner of 2 NX70s and an FS100 this is fantastic news, the new features like NTSC mode, storing camera profiles to card and 4,8x expanded focus is a great enhancement.
We told Sony that the zoom rocker on the NX70 was virtually unusable and as I suspect the best we can expect is a selectable speed rather than the more desirable variable speed but being able to slow the zoom down will be a major bonus to me.
Simultaneous recording will be a great asset for the NX70 and my favourite 720 50p recording mode being added will make this a great all round camcorder. I didn’t realise that we couldn’t review the last scene on the NX70 so that will be an extra bonus worth waiting for.
This is where the internet really scores, customers world wide can now express their feelings direct to the manufacturer who can make changes like the NX70 rocker switch and with an end user firmware update their camcorder will be as good as new if not better !
For all your video production needs in Scotland, get in touch with Small Video Productions