When we started down this large sensor road with the Panasonic AF101 it was all about prime lenses, we have now matured and see the major benefit of servo zoom lenses, the only problem being till today they have not been wide enough taking the Sony 28-135mm as a good example or within reasonable budget.
We have been banging on about a wider lens for our PXW-FS7 or C300 and now Canon have produced the goods though you will still need to use a Canon adapter to E mount to use it directly on the FS7.
At £4,700 this is not unreasonable for a 4K high quality servo zoom S35mm lens. The zoom handle is an extra £430.
- Canon EF mount compatibility provides support for fast and accurate Dual Pixel CMOS auto focus, camera-to-lens servo power supply, automatic lens metadata acquisition for easy post-processing, and lens functions such as peripheral illumination correction.
- Purpose-built video lens with a focal length of 18-80mm and optical zoom of 4.4x
- High-end features make the Canon CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S ideal for professional or advanced videographers
- Optional Canon ZSG-C10 remote zoom grip (sold separately) offers fluid zoom control, a dedicated one-shot AF button, and the flexibility to use handheld, shoulder-mounted or with a tripod
- Superior Canon optics provide stable brightness levels of T4.4 (F4) across the entire zoom range
- DC & USM motors for fast, fluid and quiet servo zoom and focus control
- 3 modes of image stabilisation for crisp, clear video
- Easy to use and work with, weighing a drone-friendly 1.2kg
- 9-leaf iris helps create beautiful, cinematic bokeh effects
- High optical resolving power and optomechanical design to meet all 4K shooting requirements
- Significantly reduced ‘focus breathing’ means less distortion and more consistent shooting