Samyang seem to be on a mission, just as I buy their 35mm T1.5 cine lens they announce a further range of newly designed cine lenses…XEEN lenses. I have to disagree with Samyang on this one, why produce a further set of lenses in a “new” housing and not make them optically better than the previous set ! Also, the last range of cine lenses have not even reached the market and are still on back order !!!
I have to commend Samyang on their 35mm T1.5 lens for being sharp and if truth be told I used it on a recent film “The Spirit of Edradour” in favour of 4K Canon glass to save the extra weight when filming hand held.
Having the lighter 35mm Sanyang lens for this shoot was a joy and the pictures were very good.
A frame from the original footage using the Samyang 35mm cine lens. ©RMN Productions.
To start with Samyang are bringing out 3 updated cine lenses, a 24mm, 50mm and 85mm for about £1600 each.
All 3 lenses will have the following specs…
- Covers Full-Frame 35mm/Vista Vision
- Available in PL, Canon EF, Nikon F, Sony E, and Micro 4/3 Mounts
- Metal Construction & Fully Manual, No Electronics
- Internal Focus Design
- Multi-Coating for Color Consistency
- Dual Side Focus and T-Stop Scales
- 11 Blade Iris
- Cinema Gearing for Focus and Iris
- 200° Focus Rotation
- Min. Focus Distance: 24mm — 10″, 50mm — 18″, 85mm — 3′ 9″
- 114mm Front Diameter
- 1/4″-20 for Lens Support
- Weight: 24mm — 2.6 lbs., 50mm — 2.56 lbs., 85mm — 2.7 lbs.
- 3 Year Limited Warranty
- Availability: August 2015
Here is a video produced with the new lenses…