Its been a long time coming but the new GH5 will be available at the end of March 2017, this really is a killer 10bit 422 DSLM with 4K 50p and no more 29minute record restrictions. The good news is it still takes the same batteries as the GH4.
The new Lumix GH5 which is 10% bigger as we now have a dual SD card slot and a full size HDMI socket, I shook Mr Uematsu’s hand when I found out about the full size HDMI socket for monitoring and outputting to an external recorder the full size HDMI is long overdue.
December 13th 2016…Tuesday morning at 10am the first person I bump into at Panasonic’s headquarters in Bracknell was Richard Payne, Head of Technology at Holdan. We all sign a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA) which means I can’t tell anyone about this meeting till today.
We met a few big players from Panasonic, Barnaby Sykes, Head of Imaging Marketing and Mr Michiharu Uematsu, Adviser for Technical PR from Japan.
I had a play with the new joystick and it makes a lot of sense when you are hunting through the menus.
Here is the list of new features for video filming…
- The GH5 will record 4K 50p at 400mbps in a firmware update in the summer.
- 1920 x 1080 50p is 10bit 422
- A new high resolution viewfinder 3680 k-dot OLED (2360 GH4)
- Full size HDMI socket plus cable lock holder (included)
- 5 Axis stabilisation with certain lenses.
- Records continually (No more 29m restriction)
- V-Log and LUT display available as a paid firmware upgrade
- Live output via the HDMI socket (i.e. Your LCD screen won’t go black as it does in the GH4) and internal recording at the same time
- Better tracking via a new AF system…225 focusing points
- Two SD card slots capable of relay recording or back up onto 2 cards at the same time.
- Same battery as the GH4
- A new top mounted XLR unit costing £350
- Customisable AF (4 sets)
- New joystick control added on the back of the GH5
- Wave Form monitor has been added
- Luminance level for 10bit has been added
- Slow motion at 25p up to 180fps
- Autofocus Transition has been added (Pull focus)
- 4K Video in 4:3 Aspect has been added for shooting with anamorphic lenses.
- Hybrid LOG Gamma will be added in summer 2017 (FW update) for 4K HDR footage.
- 709 Like & Knee control suppress overexposure by high luminance video signals
- Summer 2017 brings a firmware update giving you 4K 4:2:2 10bit at 400Mbps
- Higher ISO up to 6400 ISO…a lot cleaner than the GH4
- 4:2:2 10bit output & internal recording
April 2017 (NAB) FHD 4:2:2
Summer 2017 (June-July) …4K 4:2:2 10bit ALL-Intra… FHD 4:2:2 10bit ALL-Intra… High-resolution Anamorphic Video Mode… Hybrid Log Gamma for 4K HDR Video
The firmware (FW) update assumes the FW will be available from today.
Venus Engine improvements achieve “Natural Texture Expression“, Improved Resolution, Multipixel luminance generation and intelligent detail processing realize natural, high-resolution expression and improve color moiré suppression.
Rich Color Expression, three-dimensional color control improves color reproduction of bright and shadow areas, natural and True-to-life Image Natural image from low to high sensitivity.
1.3 times faster processing by 5 Core Codecs realizes and no cropping 4K 60p/50p video and 30fps 6K PHOTO (HEVC / H.265).
A first in the field of hi resolution view finders an amazing 3680k-dot OLED colour VF with 0.76x magnification just when you thought your GH4 viewfinder was good.
Sadly the GH5 XLR unit for the GH5 won’t work on the GH4, I asked this very question to Mr Uematsu the engineer from Japan. While we are at it the YAGH for those hanging onto them won’t fit on the newer GH5 as its 10% bigger to accommodate the dual card slots and the full size HDMI socket.
I am a big fan of the micro four thirds system which is why I already have a GH5 body on order. I love all the new features especially the sharper viewfinder, dual card slots, full size HDMI its a camera that keeps on giving to quote Richard Payne. 422 10bit is major for me as well as 4K 50p, not to mention 180fps slow motion in full HD and lastly the £350 professional XLR unit.
This will vastly improve any video production worthy of 4K or HD and I look forward to producing an in-depth user review of the GH5. I must thank Richard Payne for getting me an invite to this meeting at Panasonic HQ as it was well worth the 800 miles of drive from Glasgow to Bracknell and back again.
Here is a video I produced at the meeting…
For all your video production needs in Scotland, get in touch with Small Video Productions