Where is that strange humming noise coming from…

Are-we-alone

People all across the planet have reported hearing a strange humming/droning noise at the dead of night usually in their bedrooms like my wife and myself heard last evening.

This is a bit off topic but as I am in an industry that makes a living out of recording sound and vision I feel obliged to report this weird phenomena that has occurred a second time over the last two years.

I was in the edit suite which is right next door to our bed room when my wife came in and asked me what the humming noise was, it was about 1.30am. I switched off all the equipment and could still faintly hear a low, almost mains hum in our bedroom, it is officially reported to be between 40-80 Hz.

I decided to see if the noise was only in the house or outside so we drove round the local area in Burnside, Rutherglen stopping and listening, strangely the noise could also be heard a quarter of a mile up the hill from my house facing south but going the same distance north, nothing.

I looked for the obvious train line maintenance or any kind of construction but once again nothing, the same happened about a year and a half ago and we went through the same exercise.

This strange low frequency hum has also been reported from Canada and England all with the same story only noticeable at night, we don’t have any overhead pylons anywhere near us so it remains a mystery.

Is mother earth being mined under our very feet ?

A recent question… “Anyone have any ideas why it’s mostly heard at night and in the bedroom?”

Editor : Night time is simple…a lot less noise from cars, birds etc its probably in every room but you are more in tune with your bedroom as you spend a third of your life in it and more importantly in the same place i.e.. your position in your bed remains a constant so your ears are highly tuned to that particular space.

“The Hum is a mysterious and untraceable sound that is heard in certain locations around the world by two to ten percent of the population. Historically, the area that has been most affected by the Hum is the United Kingdom, where reports have been frequent since the early 1970s. In the United States, Hum reports date from the early 1990s, with the two most publicized locations being Taos, New Mexico, and Kokomo, Indiana. The source of the Hum has never been located. The Hum does not appear to be a form of tinnitus and may not be an acoustic sound. More than just a noise, the Hum is also capable of manifesting as vibrations felt throughout the body and is often accompanied by a suite of physical symptoms that includes headaches, nausea, and pain in the ears. Analysis of the largely anecdotal data that are available at the present time suggests that the most probable explanation is that some people have the capability to interpret radio transmissions at certain wavelengths as sound. It is well established in the scientific literature that people can hear electromagnetic energy at certain frequencies and peak power levels. Previous studies have found that a subset of the population has an electromagnetic sensitivity that is significantly greater than the mean. Several hypotheses are considered and discussed as possible sources of the Hum. These include cellular telephone transmissions, LORAN, HAARP, and the TACAMO aircraft operated by the US Navy for the purpose of submarine communications. “

For all your video production needs in Scotland, get in touch with Small Video Company Ltd

1. Bert says:

I’ve had tinnitus for decades. What I’ve heard all of my life with tinnitus is a rushing noise, like when you listen to a seashell or a radio not tuned in properly.

What I hear from time to time here in the states is about a 60 cycle hum, not like my tinnitus. Maybe there are different types of tinnitus as to which frequency one hears, but this is what I experience.

It’s horrible when one hears this 60 cycle hum here in the states. In my area I’m pretty sure it’s related to the underground power lines encased in cement laying on the limestone we have here.

2. john says:

Have a look at this article here from the UK daily Mail

“Can YOU hear wind farms? Researchers prove human hearing is better than thought and ‘turbine phenomenon’ is real

German study found humans hear sounds from around 8 hertz
    This is a whole octave lower than had previously been assumed
    Wind farms produce something known as infrasound at 16HZ
    Wind energy sector has previously claimed noise was inaudible”

3. john says:

Also have a look at some of the comments on the above article underneath.

4. Patrica Barton says:

Hi Carol, Is the Hipnotherapy helping. This is what my GP said I should try. As yet I have not.
    Still different some days. Louder others. Cheers Pat

5. Carol says:

I have been for 2 sessions and it is mostly trying to reframe my reaction to the Hum. I am a bit sceptical as she is not saying anything to me that my husband hadn’t said. Like think of the good things in your life, it can’t hurt you, there’s no such thing as silence, stop focusing on it, relax….
    All are hard to do when it is all you can hear over TV and radio and computer fan.
    I think I am waisting my money (_wrong attitude I know) but I need to feel like I am doing something about it… To haon some control

6. Patrica Barton says:

Hi Carol Its good to hear about your time with hypnothery.
    I still use my MP4 and go to the beach to get away. I am lucky I have that not far away. Some nights are worse. But sleep eventually. I try as you say not to hear – kid myself – Keep trying to keep calm. so it goes on Take each day at a time—

7. Dee says:

Hi Carol i beg to differ with your Hypnotist.. My blood pressure has been badly affected by the stress and noise and lack of sleep for over 5 yrs i look as if i have aged terribly this past 6 months. This sort of noise DOES affect your health I am having to move from where i live to get away from it. I have tried meditation and relaxation therapy which is great while im away from flat once im home stress levels go up again !!!!!! Oooooh for one whole day of peace and quiet :(

8. Sue says:

Patricia where are you please?

9. Patrica Barton says:

Hi Sue I live in New Zealand Tauranga area Papamoa Beach Bay of Plenty North Island.
    Dare I say The noise hasn’t been soo bad this last few days. Worse Sunday and Tuesday of late.
    Cheers

10. Paulette Hansen says:

Hi Patricia Barton. I live in New Zealand too, Tawa Wellington. I have heard the hum every night for the past 2 years. I thought everyone heard it but my partner doesn’t. I came to the conclusion myself a while back that it was to do with electricity don’t know why i thought that it just came to my mind one night. I decided tonight i would google it and came across this article that fits the description of what i hear only at night when im in bed. Just thought i would connect with you as we both live in New Zealand and funny too i trained as a clinical hypnotherapist back in the nineties and self hypnosis has not helped to diminish or make the hum go…

11. Patrica Barton says:

Hi Paulette, I’m Pleased to hear someone in Nz hears this sound too. I have days when I need to go to the beach taking lunch and a book. There is another person who also is in Nz- Happening in other counrties too. Some days are worse than others Humming, engine running different sometimes. But very much heard in the bedroom some nights. I have anoise machine, I put on running rain to hear adifferent noise. Plasanter to hear and do in time go to sleep. Slao MP4 player is good to have. My husband nor neigbours hear this sound. Very annoying when it lasts for hours into the night.

12. Lynda Mountfort says:

Hi Paulette. As I live in Upper Hutt, so not so far from you, I thought I’d let you know my experience. I have commented previously, but as you’ve only just found this Blog, you may not have seen my comments. I started hearing the Hum in March 2014. It drove me to distraction for the best part of a year and I too went through all the possibilities before finding out I wasn’t the only one. I had the Electricity Dept come over and check the wires around my flat, I had the Drainage people check etc etc. Found nothing of course! Then I found the Blog when an employee from the Power Bd said she thought that others had complained about the same thing. The only thing that has helped me is taking Cherry Juice before I go to bed. I sleep so much better now. Still have the occasional nights when I wake a lot, but don’t have that awful “sleep deprived” madness that was starting to take me over. The Hum is still audible day and night, but have only heard it REALLY loud half a dozen times in the last 3 months or so. You have probably figured it out by now, but in case not, the Hum is infrasound and is heard inside because your walls/floor/ceiling act as an amplifier. If you stand in your open doorway, it disapates considerably. Good luck.