Where is that strange humming noise coming from…

Are-we-alone

People all across the planet have reported hearing a strange humming/droning noise at the dead of night usually in their bedrooms like my wife and myself heard last evening.

This is a bit off topic but as I am in an industry that makes a living out of recording sound and vision I feel obliged to report this weird phenomena that has occurred a second time over the last two years.

I was in the edit suite which is right next door to our bed room when my wife came in and asked me what the humming noise was, it was about 1.30am. I switched off all the equipment and could still faintly hear a low, almost mains hum in our bedroom, it is officially reported to be between 40-80 Hz.

I decided to see if the noise was only in the house or outside so we drove round the local area in Burnside, Rutherglen stopping and listening, strangely the noise could also be heard a quarter of a mile up the hill from my house facing south but going the same distance north, nothing.

I looked for the obvious train line maintenance or any kind of construction but once again nothing, the same happened about a year and a half ago and we went through the same exercise.

This strange low frequency hum has also been reported from Canada and England all with the same story only noticeable at night, we don’t have any overhead pylons anywhere near us so it remains a mystery.

Is mother earth being mined under our very feet ?

A recent question… “Anyone have any ideas why it’s mostly heard at night and in the bedroom?”

Editor : Night time is simple…a lot less noise from cars, birds etc its probably in every room but you are more in tune with your bedroom as you spend a third of your life in it and more importantly in the same place i.e.. your position in your bed remains a constant so your ears are highly tuned to that particular space.

“The Hum is a mysterious and untraceable sound that is heard in certain locations around the world by two to ten percent of the population. Historically, the area that has been most affected by the Hum is the United Kingdom, where reports have been frequent since the early 1970s. In the United States, Hum reports date from the early 1990s, with the two most publicized locations being Taos, New Mexico, and Kokomo, Indiana. The source of the Hum has never been located. The Hum does not appear to be a form of tinnitus and may not be an acoustic sound. More than just a noise, the Hum is also capable of manifesting as vibrations felt throughout the body and is often accompanied by a suite of physical symptoms that includes headaches, nausea, and pain in the ears. Analysis of the largely anecdotal data that are available at the present time suggests that the most probable explanation is that some people have the capability to interpret radio transmissions at certain wavelengths as sound. It is well established in the scientific literature that people can hear electromagnetic energy at certain frequencies and peak power levels. Previous studies have found that a subset of the population has an electromagnetic sensitivity that is significantly greater than the mean. Several hypotheses are considered and discussed as possible sources of the Hum. These include cellular telephone transmissions, LORAN, HAARP, and the TACAMO aircraft operated by the US Navy for the purpose of submarine communications. “

For all your video production needs in Scotland, get in touch with Small Video Company Ltd

1. Richard says:

Hi Sue,

Nothing electrical though the sound comes from a point just above a dual mains socket.

Remember that the sound remained even with the mains switched off. It was also very easy to pinpoint the source within a few inches radius and it could not be heard elsewhere. Weird.

2. Teresa says:

I’ve heard this noise for a while now in various areas of Houston Pa (U.S.). I’ve always had a ceiling fan and assumed it was the fan needing tightened, like it was wobbling. But as I lay here in bed at 130 in the am I notice that familiar sound. The difference this time? I don’t have a ceiling fan…

3. Sue says:

Hello Richard
    I am wondering if the wire is old or worn… have you considered changing the wire and socket? It may be a DIY project, but you need to consider the cost if you get an electrician in. It depends on whether you think it will solve the problem. Good luck. Unfortunately, my noise is all around in the air and ground at times, makes the cottage vibrate and is unbearable to hear. Mine is definitely electricity based. Very best, Sue

4. Sue says:

I would still report it to the council. If they don’t know about it, they can’t do anything about it. If enough people report hearing this hum, then they have to do something about it. Ask around, ask people you meet, good place is at the chemist as people complain of headaches and are looking for aspirin and the like. Ask at the receptionist at the doctors. In particular ask old ladies in the street or at the old people’s clubs as they seem to hear it more than most. Not only will you get information, you will cheer them all up by chatting about other things!

5. Richard says:

No, it isn’t the wiring, Sue. As I say, it was there with the mains off.

I have my suspicions, though.

Do you live in a rural area (“cottage”) with no mains drainage?

6. Dee says:

Thank you Steve im in process of looking for another flat …in meantime having to sleep at friends or family for the time being ….
    I still think it has something to do with all the SKY dishes and i have a sky box in the loft above my bedroom feeding all the flats in the building i am in….My sis got sky fitted a few months ago and she has the same noise now but to a much lower level. Her dish is on her roof outside….

7. Bert says:

To me, I think it sometimes radiates within the earth itself. I have tried shutting off the mains here when I’ve heard it in another house and it made no difference. I’ve read also it could be due to stresses within the earth.

I think for auditory sources from the earth the house acts as a sounding board of sorts as in a piano.

Some have also felt it is quite electromagnetic in nature and more than just auditory. I think sometimes it’s due to various reasons, in some cases due to electromagnetic radiation from the mains, etc. but in other cases from other sources. I think that’s what makes it so hard to source.

I also lived once in a place where the turbine heaters used in huge coal fired furnaces in a hospital set up very low frequency ground vibrations that affected only various houses blocks away as a function of the structure of the soil carrying the low frequencies. The hospital tried to measure it at my house with decibel meters, but really, it was a ground vibration, so those were worthless to me.

Then, here on the coast, I heard it several times and it turned out it was a pleasure boat running their generators at night in a nearby waterway.

It’s horrible when it happens, it permeates the entire body.

8. Emma says:

Hi all,
    I last posted my initial comment back in April/May of this year and have been following all your comments/views/thoughts/suggestions since that time with great interest!
    I would like to share with you my experience with a homeopathic remedy – no I’m not crazy, I was very skeptical at first, but I tried this as a last resort, as the Hum was having such a detrimental impact upon my health and life in general. Briefly, by way of background I have been hearing the Hum on and off since 2012. My boyfriend and neighbours cannot hear anything. I am now 44. I live in a semi rural area surrounded by RAF air bases and a few wind turbines (but not many). The growing intensity reached fever pitch in April 2014 whereupon I made an appointment at the doctors to have my ears checked, they found nothing unusual and referred me to the hospital for an audiology test. All was pretty normal, except that my left ear was slightly down (not that I have ever noticed), nor did it explain my hearing the Hum when others cannot! The hospital suggested I have an MRI IAM scan which particularly looks at the inner ear and blood tests. The MRI came back clear, as did the bloods. So I KNOW there is nothing ‘medically’ wrong with my hearing! During these months of medical investigation I sourced (upon recommendation) a homeopathic lady who basically did some simple, non-intrusive tests and told me that I was really quite sensitive to Electro Magnetic Radiowaves. In homeopathic terms, I am what is called a ‘pulsar’ which has something to do with electromagnetic radiation – yikes! This is not something that you contract overnight but something that builds and builds over time. She prescribed me a remedy, 5 drops of Algin twice a day and a small pulsar tablet twice a week for a month. Other advice given was to give myself a break from the computer/phone/ipad etc, which I do, unplugging devices from time to time. Essentially though the remedy prescribed should ‘detox’ me. I had nothing to lose and I was at my wits end with the goddamn Hum so I thought I might as well try it. Honestly and to my absolute shock after one week I could not hear the Hum. I dared not say anything to my boyfriend for fear I jinxed it but thought I’d sit out the month. I went back to see the homeopathic lady, she reduced my remedy for a further two months. Silence is golden! I am now 3½ months clean of the blasted Hum. I can sleep at nights, I have my mojo back, I’ve the energy to go running again, it is quite unbelievable! I am definitely a convert to this type of therapy! It is not expensive, it only cost me £13.35 for the first month’s remedy and subsequently £13.35 for the second remedy but as the prescription reduces this is lasting me two months. I am told that I may not have to take the remedy for the rest of my life, I may never have to take it again or I may find I need to every year or so – every individual will be different. Just had to share this with you, I’m over the moon I feel cured. I may never find the source of the Hum but I believe that as we are surrounded these days by high levels of technology which is developing all the time that an amalgamation of all these EMRs will only get worse, hence more and more people across the globe are ‘tuning in’ to them. So I know some of you have quite drastically taken the decision to move house, I believe that if you are as sensitive to EMRs as I am then there will be very few places on earth to move to. Please try the homeopathic route – it just might help. It works for me!!

9. chris says:

hey emma, thank you so much for sharing your story and the homeopath information! congratulations on beating this thing! you give the rest of us hope. :) i’d like to try that homeopathic remedy as well – sure couldn’t hurt! what is the “small pulsar tablet?”

10. Richard says:

Humans cannot hear EMR.

Emma’s “remedy” is almost certainly because she believes it or the internal problem she had has gone. The “advice” she was given is dubious to say the least. But hey, she’s hum free and that’s what counts.

I agree with Bert: where many people can hear it the sound is most likely mechanical and is being transmitted by certain geological structures. Electrial currents in the earth are so minute as to be irrelevant.

In our case we could pinpoint the “source” within a few inches and hear it go on and off. It is external and transmitted underground from nearby, we think.

11. Kirstie says:

Hi Emma
    I too would be interested in the remedy you were provided so I can see a naturopath here is Australia as well.

12. Kirstie says:

Hi Emma
    I too would be interested in the remedy as well so I can visit a naturopath here in Australia