Where is that strange humming noise coming from…

Are-we-alone

People all across the planet have reported hearing a strange humming/droning noise at the dead of night usually in their bedrooms like my wife and myself heard last evening.

This is a bit off topic but as I am in an industry that makes a living out of recording sound and vision I feel obliged to report this weird phenomena that has occurred a second time over the last two years.

I was in the edit suite which is right next door to our bed room when my wife came in and asked me what the humming noise was, it was about 1.30am. I switched off all the equipment and could still faintly hear a low, almost mains hum in our bedroom, it is officially reported to be between 40-80 Hz.

I decided to see if the noise was only in the house or outside so we drove round the local area in Burnside, Rutherglen stopping and listening, strangely the noise could also be heard a quarter of a mile up the hill from my house facing south but going the same distance north, nothing.

I looked for the obvious train line maintenance or any kind of construction but once again nothing, the same happened about a year and a half ago and we went through the same exercise.

This strange low frequency hum has also been reported from Canada and England all with the same story only noticeable at night, we don’t have any overhead pylons anywhere near us so it remains a mystery.

Is mother earth being mined under our very feet ?

A recent question… “Anyone have any ideas why it’s mostly heard at night and in the bedroom?”

Editor : Night time is simple…a lot less noise from cars, birds etc its probably in every room but you are more in tune with your bedroom as you spend a third of your life in it and more importantly in the same place i.e.. your position in your bed remains a constant so your ears are highly tuned to that particular space.

“The Hum is a mysterious and untraceable sound that is heard in certain locations around the world by two to ten percent of the population. Historically, the area that has been most affected by the Hum is the United Kingdom, where reports have been frequent since the early 1970s. In the United States, Hum reports date from the early 1990s, with the two most publicized locations being Taos, New Mexico, and Kokomo, Indiana. The source of the Hum has never been located. The Hum does not appear to be a form of tinnitus and may not be an acoustic sound. More than just a noise, the Hum is also capable of manifesting as vibrations felt throughout the body and is often accompanied by a suite of physical symptoms that includes headaches, nausea, and pain in the ears. Analysis of the largely anecdotal data that are available at the present time suggests that the most probable explanation is that some people have the capability to interpret radio transmissions at certain wavelengths as sound. It is well established in the scientific literature that people can hear electromagnetic energy at certain frequencies and peak power levels. Previous studies have found that a subset of the population has an electromagnetic sensitivity that is significantly greater than the mean. Several hypotheses are considered and discussed as possible sources of the Hum. These include cellular telephone transmissions, LORAN, HAARP, and the TACAMO aircraft operated by the US Navy for the purpose of submarine communications. “

1. Laila says:

It was mainly at night and morning i remember for a few hours during the day it would often stop mid morning then start again in the late afternoon. just ready for bedtime! lol

2. VIVIEN says:

Hi ,I am going to try and print this Page for My Sister because Her Family and Friends and Herself think She is going mad,She has had the Gas Board out,a Plumber,an Electrician ,the Water Board and no one else can hear this rumbling sound in Her House,it happens during the Day and Night,She has asked Her Neighbours if they could move Their Sky Dish and She offered to pay for it because She thought it might be that,She has had Neighbours and Family and Friends in but they cannot hear it it is driving Her mad and She is on Tranquilisors ,it is not Tinnitus anyone with Tinnitus will know the variety of sounds We are plagued with We neever get any peace,My Sister lives in Whitefield near Manchester UK I am going to visit Her and find out if I can hear it,this Page will assure Her that She is not mad!!!!!!

3. L Edwards says:

I have same problem

4. Lynda Mountfort says:

Good luck; and reassure her that she is NOT MAD, even if you can’t hear it. Thousands of us can’t possibly be wrong. I have posted a few times before, but unless you go through the old comments you won’t have seen my comments. The one thing that has helped me cope is “Tart Cherry Juice”. I’ll leave it to you to google it. Even though I can still hear The Hum, I don’t get as strung out as I used to and it doesn’t wake me off and on all night anymore. I can still hear it (and quite loudly sometimes) if I do wake in the night, but I can always get back to sleep with the aid of some relaxing music close to my head. Good luck.

5. PATRICIA BARTON says:

Hi Sorry to hear of your plight- but like many others such as myself we hear this noise. Humming/ pump/ engine noise some days and some nights. Where I live no one else can hear it. I have had the council out, he could not hear it now can my husband. I fins my MP 4 player is best to distract from the noise. Plus a natural sleeping tablet if needed some nights. There doesn’t seem to be an answer as to why some hear others do not, nor where it comes from. The only thing most of us think it to do with electric waves– Best of luck, you are not on your own I live in NZ

6. I am in Tampa florida and for the last few weeks this sound has started driving me nuts. I am starting to question my sanity. It is getting louder and louder. Is this something we can control? Is there any way to find and eliminate it?

7. Natalia says:

Hi! I hear the same about 2-3 years. Corona,Ca.And my guess: there is mining behind the mountain we have ,they do lots of things like explosion and drilling through the mountains and…who knows what else ! But they are not too close to houses,I think sound going through the ground. Or maybe there is some mysterious work is going on underground…which is more to conspiracy theories. But I blame mining…Check around your place. It can be far from homes,but close enough for giving you trouble! Our mining is not on city pages or websites. But if you drive by,you see it.And I googled ” mining jobs in Corona” – they do hire a lot!!!
    Check with google in your area if any company hiring mining specialists.

8. Thanks, no mining in this area but I did find some large scale well operations. What really caught my attention were the trailer towed diesel generators that were located outside the 2 well houses. I got excited and called the well owner only to find that the sound was active and the generators were not. The owner did say that he would ask the guys to inspect the well for any possible failure which could cause vibration but I don’t think this is the cause. The sound is mechanical for sure. I have captured it on a signal monitor and it is about 67 to 78 mhz and constant. I have spent a great deal of time on google maps satellite view looking for possible areas worth inspecting. Granted the images are a few months to years old but its better than nothing. I have a small drone I may send up here in the next few days for some areal photos. I wish I could make the drone sound responsive and have it track down the source. My gut says its going to end up being a construction site or other man made source. I love my home as it was the house I always wanted but I will put it up for sale if this can’t be controlled. Wearing earl plugs is not an option all the time so I am pretty stressed at the moment.

9. Keith says:

December 19 2015, Cedar Hill, Missouri.
    I have been hearing this deafening head rattling rumble again now for 2 months after not hearing it for 3 years. Before when I heard it for so long I was going to have to move. Sometimes it’s faint but sometimes it’s exceedingly loud. RRRR. I hate it.
    (Taos Hum) Project E.L.F.-U.S. Navy: http://youtu.be/O_CL24funM4
    Try this link to a YouTube channel and it has sound about identical to what I hear. My wife and dad, neither, can hear it for real but I haven’t had a good chance to play this video on good Bluetooth speakers go them to hear it, then see if now they’d hear the real thing.
    Where can I move so I don’t hear it.
    I heard the “hum” rumble 30 miles away at my dads. I heard it at church 10 miles away in the opposite direction. GOD please make it stop.
    Keith.

10. Kerri says:

I live in Morris County, New Jersey. I hear the hum each night–just like all the other commentators–in my bedroom. I first thought it might be those construction generators they use for light when working at night, but that was not it. I lived a half mile away in a cottage until just 5 months ago…I never heard it there. Now, I hear it all the time at night. I try to hear it outside sometimes, but it is not as perceptible with the wind, etc. The worst part for me is the pulsating nature of it–it is not completely steady but goes up and down–not a steady rummmmmm but more of a slow and low pitched rum–rum–rum. That is annoying. I don’t know what it could be. I am about 3/4 mile from power lines, two miles from major roads, and about 7 miles from Picatinny Arsenal, where they built a huge tower for “tests.” I have seen others post on different sites that they think it could perhaps be that http://www.pica.army.mil/PAL/ I love all the posts and will try to figure it out over here, but it is a tough thing to understand.

11. David cohen says:

The humdruz Fortean times covered it some years ago .i know a megalithic site which kicks this sound out really powerfully . To the point it can feel like your sat in an aircraft ready for take off the whole ground seams to shake at the same time .interesting reading others that 4am is significant .Thats what time I’ve also experienced this vibration at this particular site..think it’s the earths natural resonance some people can tune to it most can’t .shoemans resonance .ive heard 4am is the most magical time there’s some sort of crack in the universe at this time …

12. Sue says:

David where exactly have you heard this resonance? Time date and location would be useful to know. Have you downloaded the free app for your smartphone systems analyzer? If you could measure it I would be most interested. Please let me know. I would appreciate Hz and Db levels. Thanks, Sue

13. Tracey says:

Help any thoughts I’m being driven crazy, for the last two plus mths I have lived in my flat for 12 years and at the end of November my neighbours electrics went off so he called out an electrocution and he called down stairs to my flat asi have the main electric fuse for upstairs in my electric panel he. Changed the fuse and ever since I have heard this loud humming sound its really loud in my bed room kitchen basically all over my flat it sounds lovely is a car engine or plane engine sometimes what has made this hum worse was my neighbour upstairs had extractor fans on and had no carpets down so I could feel the vibrations worse he has now moved so no extraction fans on but the humming noise is still here its much worse at night I’m the only one who can hear the humming in my flat but friends and neighbours could hear the fans I was wondering if this humming is from the main fuse being replaced for the flat upstairs? As I’ve never heard this humming before the fuse got changed and I’ve lived here 12 years any help please would b gretful I feel like I’m going crazy and my life is getting depressing no sleep ect one point I s when I put my microwave on it dapens the noise or turn up TV heating on helps but the hummings still there I don’t know where to start or what to do! I can feel the vibrations in my left ear and get a lot of pain deep iny left ear, plus if I puty finger in my right hear I can hardly hear it threw my left ear, but if I do it the other way round I can hear it? Confusing I’ve also had two minor ear infections in the outter ear left one, but have pain further in, I’m going back to doctors on Friday 3rd time and want a hearing test as I’m at my last ebb, with it I dread bed time it’s a nightmare trying to sleep with this humming noise

14. Dee says:

HiTracey where about do you live i have had the same problem for years in my flat and i am positive it is electrical but no one seems to agree. the other night i was settling down and the noise got alot stronger my neighbour downstairs had just come in so i phoned him to ask what he had just switched on and it was his telly in his bedroom. I had to leave the house as this noise is having a huge impact on my health. I still think it has to do with faulty electric wiring and Sky dishes or boxes in lofts.I really sympathize with you. It is my left ear which is the worst too..I was sent to hospital for hearing test Dr said it was all in my head and due to stress i had been going through at the time…….That didnt help the way i was feeling.. Good luck I hope you get some answers and PEACE soon :)

15. Bert says:

I think it’s electrical too. Here in the sates we are 60hz, UK 50hz. The houses here in my development are on limestone and all mains are underground laying on the limestone. A large main runs by my bedroom and the house is on a concrete slab. All houses in this development have electric heat, and I notice it more in the winter and at night when lots of houses are using more electrical power. The power draw is so great you can even hear the power transformers on the street whining from about 100 feet away.

16. Tracey says:

I live in south Manchester, I went to doctors today again and was told because I’ve listened to the fans for 2.5 mths my ears have been damaged and if I can still hear this noise I’m being referred to the ENT,the noise is going lower but still here, or it could be that it might be in my head as I’ve heard it for so long, its going on even though there is nothing to hear I really hope it ends soon I feel like I’m going mad & no one really believes me xx thankyou for your comments

Editor : Theres an easy way to test your doctors diagnosis…If you here a low humming noise in your bedroom and it does not go away when you visit a friends house then he is probably correct.

17. Dawn Curtis says:

Omg I have been keeping daily records for almost a year now as well as having environmental health out to record by meter this very problem I am reading above..I thought the neighbours were are growing something they shouldn’t be or playing on some heavy equipment games thing but all night every night maybe not.. This terrible humming and vibration my ears hurt, my muscles twitch and buzzing head from the felt vibration but it’s like I can’t tell what direction it’s coming from, outside the house is noticeable and their is no escape as it’s felt in every room when it starts up in the evenings right up until the following morning.so thank goodness iv found this website as it has made my life hell in my house hear in Liskeard

18. DEE says:

I have just down loaded analyzer. Not sure how this works .The red peak is at 613.70 Hz (-46.9db)
    The green peak reads 129.20Hz (-71.0db) The noise went away on Tuesday bliss for around 12hrs Yesterday morning a different noise started up I feltvlikecivwas on a plane and wanting to pop my ears. I left house at 12.30pm It took over 3hrs for my ears to get back to normal my hearing was over sensitive for that time. Today noise wasn’t bad but from 10 past 11pm tonight the hum is back with a vengeance. Hellish.