Where is that strange humming noise coming from…

Are-we-alone

People all across the planet have reported hearing a strange humming/droning noise at the dead of night usually in their bedrooms like my wife and myself heard last evening.

This is a bit off topic but as I am in an industry that makes a living out of recording sound and vision I feel obliged to report this weird phenomena that has occurred a second time over the last two years.

I was in the edit suite which is right next door to our bed room when my wife came in and asked me what the humming noise was, it was about 1.30am. I switched off all the equipment and could still faintly hear a low, almost mains hum in our bedroom, it is officially reported to be between 40-80 Hz.

I decided to see if the noise was only in the house or outside so we drove round the local area in Burnside, Rutherglen stopping and listening, strangely the noise could also be heard a quarter of a mile up the hill from my house facing south but going the same distance north, nothing.

I looked for the obvious train line maintenance or any kind of construction but once again nothing, the same happened about a year and a half ago and we went through the same exercise.

This strange low frequency hum has also been reported from Canada and England all with the same story only noticeable at night, we don’t have any overhead pylons anywhere near us so it remains a mystery.

Is mother earth being mined under our very feet ?

A recent question… “Anyone have any ideas why it’s mostly heard at night and in the bedroom?”

Editor : Night time is simple…a lot less noise from cars, birds etc its probably in every room but you are more in tune with your bedroom as you spend a third of your life in it and more importantly in the same place i.e.. your position in your bed remains a constant so your ears are highly tuned to that particular space.

“The Hum is a mysterious and untraceable sound that is heard in certain locations around the world by two to ten percent of the population. Historically, the area that has been most affected by the Hum is the United Kingdom, where reports have been frequent since the early 1970s. In the United States, Hum reports date from the early 1990s, with the two most publicized locations being Taos, New Mexico, and Kokomo, Indiana. The source of the Hum has never been located. The Hum does not appear to be a form of tinnitus and may not be an acoustic sound. More than just a noise, the Hum is also capable of manifesting as vibrations felt throughout the body and is often accompanied by a suite of physical symptoms that includes headaches, nausea, and pain in the ears. Analysis of the largely anecdotal data that are available at the present time suggests that the most probable explanation is that some people have the capability to interpret radio transmissions at certain wavelengths as sound. It is well established in the scientific literature that people can hear electromagnetic energy at certain frequencies and peak power levels. Previous studies have found that a subset of the population has an electromagnetic sensitivity that is significantly greater than the mean. Several hypotheses are considered and discussed as possible sources of the Hum. These include cellular telephone transmissions, LORAN, HAARP, and the TACAMO aircraft operated by the US Navy for the purpose of submarine communications. “

1. Dee says:

Hi Sue sorry it has been ages since i was last on and to arrange to meet. Been having a horrendous time re noise and trying to find somewhere to sleep at night. My housing association are now moving me out of Edinburgh..!!! It would still be good to meet up ..
    the noise has been particularly bad over the past 3-4 weeks my health has taken a downward spiral 🙁

2. Sue says:

Hello Dee
    is there a secure email you can send me? e should certainly meet up so I can listen to your hum.
    Sue

3. carol says:

The vibration was terrible last nigh here in Holt Park/Cookridge Leeds.
    It seems to effect my right ear most, which becomes quite sore. I managed to sleep eventually, but not restful sleep, feeling anxious about it, not control on when it occurs, how loud it is, its exhausting noise.

4. Hi Carol I have put messages on this site before.Over the last weekend the noise has been dreadful. ful on all day and vibration under the floor. A web site may be of interest, ( I am in New Zealand Tauranga) http://www.thehum.info/ reserch and a data base is being collected. 10000 people world wide have entered there location, A world map can be looked at at sites all over where this type of noise is troubling people such as us. We are not the only ones!!! Take care Pat

5. Denise Duneclift says:

I live in Caister-on-Sea, Norfolk, UK, it has been very loud again here again ,especially last night the bed vibrating & i have had little sleep .

6. john says:

Hi Carol

I’m in Leeds too and the Hum is pretty bad here, has been for years. Can’t hear it outside just indoors. Think it is a pressure wave. If you open a window and stick your head out its gone. Does help sometimes. Only solution i found is to playback white noise on some small headphones. You can get an app on your phone. Look for White Noise Generator on Google Play by Hipxel.

7. carol says:

Hi John, yes it has been bad last few nights again. My brother in Moortown hears it too. I had the window open a bit last night, and it did help. I will try the white noise. Thanks. Carol

8. Hi Here in Papamoa/ Tauranga New Zealand the noise has been bad for two days, like others I eventually sleep but not easy. I use an MP 3 player down load favorite songs. That helps at night when quite- except for that HUM !!!

9. Karen Perkins says:

Hi everyone, I found this site early hours of this morning, after a total meltdown. I live in Cardiff, S. Wales in the UK and I have been hearing this damned hum for at least the last 18 months, feeling like I am losing my mind. No-one else in our house hears it, so I have been feeling totally alone. I live with my youngest son and his family, also my oldest son is staying with us a little while. I have been putting off going to bed till stupid o’clock, in the hopes that I will be so tired that I will just fall asleep in spite of the noise and vibration, but it doesn’t work like that! Last night, I went up to my room around 4 am and the noise was horrendous, the vibrations too! I called my youngest and asked him if he would come into my room to listen. Of course he couldn’t hear it, I broke down in floods of tears, saying I am not going mad, it IS real, it sounds like it is coming from outside, but when I go out to hear where it is coming from …. it isn’t there. My Daughter in law came in but she couldn’t hear it either, then my eldest came in, surprise surprise, he couldn’t hear it! My youngest said … that’s it, I am going to google it, I was sceptical, how do you go about googling a flaming noise??? Well he put in a few words and loads of sites came up! I was shocked! At the same time …. relieved because here was proof that I wasn’t imagining it, that I am not alone! after they went back to bed, I sat here looking through loads of stuff about it, for an hour and a half, then I found this site! I am sorry this is turning into an essay, and I know you guys have all been in the same boat. I am just so desperate for some sleep …. proper sleep! I am so exhausted but I do not want to go down the path of taking sleeping pills. I have been there before, and vowed never again! I try playing classical music which is normally relaxing for me, but I still hear and feel it. Ear plugs wouldn’t work, ear phones always make my ears sore … headphones I cant wear as I can’t lay on my back. The family have even offered to swap rooms with me, but I went in theirs, and I still hear it, it is in every room!
    A lot of sites are suggesting that it is tinnitus …. I m sorry but I totally reject that! I DO suffer from tinnitus, but if it WAS that, why does it stop when I go outside the door? At dead of night, when there is very little outside noise going on, if it were tinnitus, I would still hear it when I step outside! I do not! But it starts up again, as soon as I come back inside! Sometimes I only hear it upstairs, mostly at night but I do sometimes hear it during the day, though much reduced! It is always worse at night! I do hear it downstairs, (only at night! ) now and then!
    My family are telling me to go see my GP but a) are they going to take it seriously? b) What can they do for me? c) Will I end up being pumped full of drugs?
    These last few weeks, the noise has become louder and the vibrations stronger. I feel it through my whole body, even laying in bed! It even actually wakes me when I do manage to fall asleep, sometimes, I have only been asleep for 10-15 mins! I really don’t know how much longer I can take this!

10. Denise Duneclift says:

Hi Karen, I found this site a few years ago when like you I had googled the hum after a horrendous night.You certainly are not alone, I live in Caister-on-Sea, Norfolk, I have been hearing the noise for about 5 years now, i feel the vibration too, my bed almost feels like it’s moving ! I am the only one in the household who can hear it but I have little comfort that my sister who lives 3 miles away can hear it too.This hum is world wide ,doesn’t seem to form any pattern,not high pressure or low ,not a wind farm, people miles away from everything aminety can still hear & feel it! I feel it must be something to do with the earth’s core , not much of a conselation I’m afraid. I have terrible nights Karen,I have a good cry about it & try to cope but it’s not easy ,I suffer from tinitus & this noise is definitely external, I have spoken to my clinic & they agree there is a small percentage of people who can hear this hum .Take care Karen ,Denise x

11. carol says:

Hi Karen, its dreadful isn’t it. I am still picking it up this morning, it usually fades in the background once day come’s.
    I did go to the doctors, she was quite understanding, I had recorded the noise on my phone, it shows more as an interference, the pulses are shown. The doctor sent me for a brain scan, to check no tumor around the ear, I am affected in the right side. No tumor, thank the lord. But still the problem.I sometimes sleep with my beanie hat on, the flaps cushion the noise a bit sometimes. I sleep, but its not restful, and I am dreaming like crazy. It is good to know you are not alone. I am in Leeds, my brother hears it, a friend in Wakefield hears it, its widespread for those up can pick it up.

12. Eddie says:

Hi Karen. Although low frequency hums are heard worldwide I don’t think they’ve got any single source but rather have a multitude of sources. I first became badly affected when a large new paper mill opened in my area, but after I became sensitive to the noise from this factory I now hear low frequency noise to a lesser or greater extent wherever I go. I think it’s a cumulative affect with each new source like wind farms, which are known to produce these hums, adding to the background hum and making it worse for noise sensitive people

To try and locate where any hum might be coming from that’s particularly affecting you can I ask whether you live within a five or ten mile radius of any large new factories or wind farms? I just checked the UK wind farm map and notice that there’s a wind farm in the Cardiff area at Wentloog Environment Centre. Are you anywhere near that? Also do you hear this noise in other areas of Cardiff or outside of Cardiff?

I’ve found, by the way, that by using an air purifier (a Blueair in my case) which produces a pleasant background noise this helps to mask the unpleasant low frequency hum and vibration in my area of Cheshire which gets on my nerves.

13. Hi Karen like a lot of us I too had had this noise/ hum and vibration for nearly two years now. I feel it started when fibre cables were put in this area, under ground. I live in new Zealand on the coast East of North island. i know there are others here too that are the same as we are. I use my MP 3 player a lot during the day, or go out as not far away it goes away. At night I have a noise machine and set this to the sound of waves. I find this very helpful but still sometimes not enough for a good noght s sleep I sometimes use a hebal sleeping tablet that helps. too. Hope this might give you some help. Take care

14. Karen Perkins says:

Thank you all for your comments, and concern! I really appreciate it and I feel for all of you. The misery this causes, is so awful, and I am afraid that people that don’t have this problem, fail to understand just how debilitating it is! To be honest, how could they possibly do so, it really does seem so incredible! To be perfectly honest, I still am finding it difficult to get my head around the fact that this is so loud, and PHYSICAL too, that no-one else can hear or feel it! It beggars belief! I am coming to terms with the idea that it is only me that can hear it, but I really hope that something can be done for all of us, really soon! It really does become so unbearable!
    Patricia Barton, what is this noise machine you speak of please and where would I be able to get one? I have never heard of it to be honest, but will try anything if there is the slightest chance that it might help. I am not keen on the use of sleeping pills of any kind, herbal or not, to be honest, but I will if I have to but ONLY the herbal.
    Eddie, I wasn’t aware of the wind farm you refer to, but my son says we can see the big turbine from just up the road to us, that looks close because of the size, but it isn’t. I asked him if he knew how long it had been there, he reckons about a year or 2 ….. h’mmmmm! food for thought. We will have to look into it. I haven’t noticed it anywhere else in Cardiff as to be honest, I rarely go out after dark (which is when I hear it most!) also when I step outside my home, the sound goes away! Not having been in anyone else’s house at night, I can’t possibly comment on that. But, I can speak to my next door neighbour, and see if I can have a listen upstairs in her house (if she doesn’t think I have totally lost the plot that is! lol!) Her Mum and Dad are roughly my age or a little older, so it would be worth asking them if they hear it!
    Carol, How on earth do you record it on the phone? I would never have thought of doing that so might give that a go! I have to say that I have tried covering my ears with my thick duvet, and pillow but it doesn’t diminish enough, only very slightly. It certainly does not help with the vibrations.
    Denise Duneclift, oddly, I have just recently had a brain scan, as I have been having some short term memory problems, and the doctor needed to rule out anything sinister going on, which, thankfully, there isn’t apart from slight shrinkage in the front part.Having said that, I am wondering now, if there might be some connection with that, and the hum? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I will certainly be asking my doctor. Yes, my bed often feels like it is moving too, not at all a nice feeling! 5 years eh? Oh my life, how on earth have you coped? I have been at the end of my tether and feel ready for the funny farm. I agree with you about the noise being external, I too suffer from tinnitus and it most definitely is not that! Yes it does fade almost completely in the daytime, but I feel that is because of the everyday noises that comes with daytime, it is covered by it. It does reduce me to tears too from time to time, and I get to screaming point but I am so relieved to know that I am not mad …. that others can hear it too! Really not sure I enjoy being this unique lol!I mean different can be good, but in this case ….. NOOOOOOOOOOO! lol … Thank you all for the support and advice,it really means a lot! xx

15. Hi Patricia here. the noise machine on my order was Ho Medics SS 200 G/F I got this from Amazon .com but the UK Amazon my stock them too. not expensive as I paid NZ$ 41 .84 with postage. Runs on mains and with batteries so I take it away with me to.. I hear Tart Cherry skin liquid does help at night after a few weeks of drinking at night. From a health shop. Can be expensive but said to be good for natural sleep. I as yet have not gone that way. Hope this is of help. Cheers.

16. Lynda Mountfort says:

Hi there. Just adding in my tuppence-worth! I started hearing The Hum in March 2013 and was absolutely miserable and sleep deprived for A LONG TIME. Tart Cherry juice is really helpful, take an hour before retiring. I keep a CD player on a chair close to my bed with a favourite New Age CD on that is now so familiar and soothing. Although I still hear The Hum I can now not let it bother me; something I didn’t think would ever happen; so take heart you too may get to this stage. In the early years (about 2) I used many things – white noise on the radio (which didn’t really work for me as it was intermittent and annoying) and using small headphones with music or commentaries; these did help and occasionally I still use these. But the CD player is the best. Good luck, and know that there are many empathetic people out there!

17. Paula Monaghan says:

Wow!Reading these coomenfs makes me realise I’m not mad. We have low vibrating hum through the house, its rhythmic. I thought it was my neighbours heating but her house is silent?! I have turned the heating off, checked the loft and its still there and worse in my bedroom. I am very sleep deprived and struggling to function. Any help or advise would be appreciated

18. Eddie says:

Sorry to hear Paula that it’s affecting you so bad. I use an air purifier to mask the hum and vibration. It helps me to sleep. Other people use white noise etc to mask it. I’m the only one in my family who’s affected. That seems to be the usual case. Most people aren’t bothered by low frequency noise but for those who are life is made intolerable at times. Hopefully things will improve for you but if not you might have to move house which is what I did. It could be that there’s a local noise source you can find that’s causing it like a factory or wind farm, but if you can’t locate it then there’s not a lot you can do. Your council might be able to help but I wouldn’t count on it. I hope things improve for you.

19. Patricia Barton says:

Hi l find an mp player is good to have play your favorite music listern to the radio Natural herbal sleeping tablets help with night time also l have a sound machine plays ocean sound , rain, six choices One other of us did get one perhaps look back at comments. I am in nz. Best of luck