Where is that strange humming noise coming from…

Are-we-alone

People all across the planet have reported hearing a strange humming/droning noise at the dead of night usually in their bedrooms like my wife and myself heard last evening.

This is a bit off topic but as I am in an industry that makes a living out of recording sound and vision I feel obliged to report this weird phenomena that has occurred a second time over the last two years.

I was in the edit suite which is right next door to our bed room when my wife came in and asked me what the humming noise was, it was about 1.30am. I switched off all the equipment and could still faintly hear a low, almost mains hum in our bedroom, it is officially reported to be between 40-80 Hz.

I decided to see if the noise was only in the house or outside so we drove round the local area in Burnside, Rutherglen stopping and listening, strangely the noise could also be heard a quarter of a mile up the hill from my house facing south but going the same distance north, nothing.

I looked for the obvious train line maintenance or any kind of construction but once again nothing, the same happened about a year and a half ago and we went through the same exercise.

This strange low frequency hum has also been reported from Canada and England all with the same story only noticeable at night, we don’t have any overhead pylons anywhere near us so it remains a mystery.

Is mother earth being mined under our very feet ?

A recent question… “Anyone have any ideas why it’s mostly heard at night and in the bedroom?”

Editor : Night time is simple…a lot less noise from cars, birds etc its probably in every room but you are more in tune with your bedroom as you spend a third of your life in it and more importantly in the same place i.e.. your position in your bed remains a constant so your ears are highly tuned to that particular space.

“The Hum is a mysterious and untraceable sound that is heard in certain locations around the world by two to ten percent of the population. Historically, the area that has been most affected by the Hum is the United Kingdom, where reports have been frequent since the early 1970s. In the United States, Hum reports date from the early 1990s, with the two most publicized locations being Taos, New Mexico, and Kokomo, Indiana. The source of the Hum has never been located. The Hum does not appear to be a form of tinnitus and may not be an acoustic sound. More than just a noise, the Hum is also capable of manifesting as vibrations felt throughout the body and is often accompanied by a suite of physical symptoms that includes headaches, nausea, and pain in the ears. Analysis of the largely anecdotal data that are available at the present time suggests that the most probable explanation is that some people have the capability to interpret radio transmissions at certain wavelengths as sound. It is well established in the scientific literature that people can hear electromagnetic energy at certain frequencies and peak power levels. Previous studies have found that a subset of the population has an electromagnetic sensitivity that is significantly greater than the mean. Several hypotheses are considered and discussed as possible sources of the Hum. These include cellular telephone transmissions, LORAN, HAARP, and the TACAMO aircraft operated by the US Navy for the purpose of submarine communications. “

For all your video production needs in Scotland, get in touch with Small Video Company Ltd

1. Mardler says:

No, I am not.

I have also experienced some of this but it’s internal bar one very strange happening which two of us could hear and could have easily recorded.

If what you hear cannot be measured in your vicinity it does not exist. Period.

2. Mardler says:

I am confusing nothing and am fully conversant with acoustics and their measurement. I repeat: if it cannot be measured it does not exist externally.

The fact that many say they suffer (and I do not doubt their sincerity) is bogus.

Btw, LFN as defined here seems to be c.50-60hz which is not particularly low.

Instead of flatly denying the scientific approach it would do far more good to analyse the problem in depth. For example, has a “sufferer” been tested in an anechoic chamber or inside a Faraday cage or even both simultaneously?

3. Eddie says:

Mardler the scientists at Salford University who are researching LFN don’t agree with your position. They say: “Tinnitus is a ringing noise in the ears and in some ways its effects are similar to LFN. However, studies have found that most LFN sufferers do not have tinnitus, or if they do that they can hear the LFN separately to the tinnitus. So tinnitus and LFN are separate phenomena and tinnitus cannot explain the majority of cases of LFN.”

4. chris says:

mardler, i’m sure I speak for at least a few of us here who suffer from however our issue is defined, and understand that you are entitled to your opinion. however your posts are very negative and unilaterally dismissive of what thousands of individuals across the world are clearly experiencing (however it is memasured). our suffering is not “bogus”. your dismissiveness and negativity are very insensitive and non-productive to this conversation.

5. Mardler says:

Oh dear – I am not talking about tinnitus, of which I am a sufferer btw.

6. Mardler says:

If being factual is dismissive in your opinion so be it.

7. chris says:

mardler, i do not equate being factual with being dismissive. your opinions are not factual, they are judgmental and dismissive and contribute nothing to this discussion.

8. Paul says:

My wife and I both hear it at night. It appears to come from the south west. A hanging clock resonated on the wall at the freq for a bit tonight during a peak of its modulation. I drove around but couldn’t hear it a km or so away. It’s been going for hours and sounds very much like a train or diesel eng in the distance. Barely audible in our front yard. Louder inside our bed room than out side, but clearly coming from outside.

9. Sue says:

Hello Paul
    Where are you? We recorded the sound in my house, it is 50-100hz which is the signature of electricity. I had the man round to have a listen, he can’t hear it but says he will replace the bracket on the wall which brings the powerline into the house and also look at the cracked oil filled transformer on the pole in the garden. Check out any transformers and sub stations in you area. Follow the power lines on Google Earth and see which is the nearest and then see ifyou can hear it there. The sound appears to be coming down the lines and being magnified by them Very best Sue

10. Mardler says:

If you both hear it and can detect other effects (your clock) you definitely have a problem.

One source is machinery transmitting vibrations through the substrata so see if you can research that.

Good luck!

11. Mardler says:

Good call, Sue – could also be that. Water main, too.

12. Bert says:

I have this too, about 60 hertz only at night. Everyone in this neighborhood has underground wiring and electric heat.

The houses are built on limestone that is a couple of feet underground. I’ve pretty much isolated it down to the mains running between the houses on my block, to the underground lines probably laying on the limestone in conduit topped by cement for protection.

It only happens on cold nights in the winter. I think the load of all of the electric heat sets up a classical 60 hertz hum in the mains running between the houses, and it’s transmitted via the limestone substrata to the foundation and into the cement walls. I only hear it on the walls adjacent to where the mains are.

13. Mardler says:

Very plausible explanation.

14. Mrs Hilary Boardman says:

I live in a small village Nr Ormskirk, Lancs. I constantly hear this noise like an engine running. It seems to come and go. Sometimes it lasts for days or weeks and then goes silent which is bliss. It sounds underground and I can feel the vibration sometimes. My husband cannot hear it which is frustrating. I feel like I am going mad. Even if watching TV or listening music I can still hear it. Just wish II knew what it was and would love it to stop completely.

15. Sue says:

Hello Hilary
    Yes that is the exact noise. It’s electricity. If you can get the council to come out and record it. They will no doubt tell you they cannot hear it and NO ONE ELSE has complained. If they admitted it, they would have to DO something about it. The recording equipment needs to be Low Frequency Noise specific, LFN for short. Once you have documented proof, contact the power company and see what they propose to do about it.

16. carol says:

Hilary, you sound just like me. I too hear what sounds like a distant truck idling at a very low level that it is almost vibration.
    The link above is for an app for phone or tablet that is a frequency spectrum analyser. I tried it an it showed a definite 100hz peak. Beside an electricity substation it showed peaks at 50hz, 100, 200, 400hz.

I have been hearing it nearly constantly for a year now. It stopped for a few weeks in September and again in Nov/Dec. It has been intermittent these last few weeks. It is bliss when I don’t hear it in my home. The rest of my family don’t hear it but the electricity representative did, as did the water board man and the environmental health trainee.

Try the app see if it picks anything up. Try it in other places where you don’t hear the low frequency noise for a comparison.

Regards,
    Carol

17. Mardler says:

Carol, your basic problem is at UK mains frequency. The other frequencies are simple harmonics.

Good proof that a cheap app works.

You will find the problem so good luck.

18. bob says:

yes i hear it at night northaptonshire village sends me mad

19. Denise says:

February 15th , the humming & droning has been driving me to insanity for days ,am I the only one hearing it at the moment, the comments seem to have dried up for a while? I am in Caister-on-Sea, Norfolk, UK.

20. Lynda Mountfort says:

Probably not much comfort for you as I live in New Zealand, however, I’ve been noticing something others have commented on also. And that is that the warmer the evening the quieter is the Hum. It’s our summer and we’ve been having really warm evenings, however the last 2 or 3 nights have been much colder and the Hum has been much louder. It was so nice being able to sleep all night without being woken by it. I am always aware that the Hum is there 24 hours, but the volume/vibration has certainly been varying since our summer started.

21. carl says:

You are suffering from mercury poison the noise is in your head not external.you are the one there with amalgam filling in teeth ill bet..

22. Steve says:

Interesting, because I too have been hearing it more intensely this past week. I’m in Northumberland.

23. Mardler says:

I’m not far away, no noise here.

However, I was using ear drops for two days and that caused similar noises. So first do the usual checks and tests.

24. carl says:

Its not external its in your head..two people in my house hear it I am one of them..then there is one with perfect hearing they dont hear it..the only difference is the one with good hearing has no amalgam in his mouth..you all are suffering mercury poisoning.

25. Bert says:

Do you have underground power lines feeding your home? I only hear it here in the states at night when many houses in our development have their electric heat on. We have underground conduit power lines feeding the homes and it’s on top of limestone with probably a concrete run for protection, about two feet underground. I’m pretty sure it’s the 60 cps whine of the power lines under load.

26. Garry says:

Hi Lynda, I have been experiencing the exact same here in the South Island. We are in the middle of the driest weather since the 70s and the hum is definitely not as prevalent as it was in the winter months.

27. Mardler says:

The noise may well be internal but Mercury poisoning is a conspiracy theory too far.

28. Emma says:

Mercury poisoning?? Just so you know, I do not and have never had any fillings, metal or otherwise in my mouth. In addition, my audiology tests prove I have perfectly good hearing. It’s was definitely an external noise for me.

29. carl says:

Mercury come from many sources..fish from the sea are packed with it..florescent light bulbs..thermostats..the list goes on but for most it is fillings.

30. Mardler says:

Nercury poisoning is a stupid conspiracy theory.

However, your hearing may pass muster in an auditory test and the problem still be internal. A hearing test measures ability to hear, that’s all.

There are ways to measure some internal artefacts e.g. tinnitus: very sensitive instruments can, sometimes, pick up the noise you hear.

The only way to be sure is to check if others hear the same noise and also to have proper measurements taken.

31. Garry says:

The power lines are all overhead in my neighborhood, so that theory might not stick – sorry.

32. Chris says:

Firstly, mercury* poisoning is not a ”conspiracy theory” at all.
    You really should research the origin of that phrase.

For the third time Mardler you are completely wrong. It is not internal and it is not organic.

33. cgreen says:

Yeah chris after mardler’s reply i realized no need to reply back to them but you i think i can have a logical discussion with..If the noise is not internal, then why does everyone not hear it?? The noise is often accompanied by someone who says they feel pinpricks like bugs are biting them and itching,slurred speech and other problems,that is all signs of mercury poisoning thats where i drew my conclusion from, i have experienced those very symptoms so if it’s not internal and it is felt along with other symptoms then it would stand to reason or at least in my line of thinking that it is something that maybe governments are doing as a test and they don’t know it causes those symptoms.Strange enough where i live at is almost free of city lights i have recently noticed Apache helicopters floating around in the sky a lot around my house, sometimes i notice them in number of 6 to 10 but it this does not seem wierd considering i live close to where they make them here in Alabama and we are not far off from fort rucker which trains pilots for them.This leads me to wonder is the noise helicopters???If it is then why do the other symptoms go along with this noise?? Could it be the effect of night vision radar hitting people who and sensitive to it?? Just curious trying to figure it out, whats you thoughts?? It’s not electrical lines as the power goes out often where i live cause it’s in the middle of nowhere alabama and i still hear it after the power has failed…

34. cgreen says:

Plus i hear it after the power fails, not the power lines, no that theory is wrong.

35. Mardler says:

I know exactly what I am talking about and you, clearly, do not.

Your conspiracy theory support is of no help to anyone and is patronising e.g. “Most people who use it are actually programmed to flippantly relay it autonomously as part of their cognitive dissonance.” People are programmed? Good grief, you really should get a grip.

It is you who is wrong and your comment on cognitive dissonance shows that you haven’t a clue what you’re talking about.

The ‘net is awash with this crackpot theory on mercury and it has been discredited many times.

You’ll be telling us that mercury poisoning is also done via “chemtrails” next.

36. Bert says:

Here, underground power lines are considered to be the source when under a heavy load. … but the source in other areas might be from something different. In another home it was traced to a large hospital several blocks away that had large turbines on the heating system that were transmitting this low frequency noise to several blocks away, underground, as verified by the hospital.

37. Bert says:

Thank you for your comment! There is way too much folklore on the internet misguiding individuals!

38. Chris says:

Ok, this forum / message board / discussion topic is all about the issue of an unexplained hum that people are experiencing across the world, its not about me and not about you, i respect your contributions and respect you as a fellow human.

I actually do know what i am typing about here as i have done a fair amount of research into it as i am experiencing it regularly and consistently for approximately 18 months or so. Also i happen to be a researcher and am a contributor and co host to a couple of radio shows that cover these kind / type of topics, and by the way i would welcome you onto our show to discuss this live on air with a view to get a balanced and open minded perspective to the origin of the noise / hum.

Do you contribute or host / co-host and radio shows that specialise in unexplained and open to debate topics?

Are you a researcher?

Ok, what is my conspiracy theory? what dose the word conspiracy theory mean and what is its origin?

I suspect you are referring to the reality of this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b2ewinTaAM.

What do you want me to get a grip on to? Reality possibly? I suspect we don’t share the same reality however you could, in time, with a lot of realisation to be be frank and honest.

Cogitative dissonance is something that you should read the definition of from several different sources as you are not making any sense.
    -In fact you second from last paragraph is completely non nonsensical.

As far as chemtrails, well i Urge you to go to the site : http://www.whyintheworldaretheyspraying.com/ watch the video , listen and learn, please, no please. ( also here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf0khstYDLA )

Finally, if there is nothing to chemtrails then why is it being discussed at UN? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhgjUtNTYQ8

I hope this helps you.

39. Lynda Mountfort says:

Nope, all lines above ground around here. I went down the power-line track a year ago, plus a few other tracks, eg water supply etc. Dead ends like so many others.

40. Lynda Mountfort says:

Thanks for your comments Garry.

41. Bert says:

Yep, it’s often a mystery! At one house I traced it to a hospital several blocks away that had large turbine fans on large coal furnaces. The turbines made a horrific low frequency vibration. It was a very positional noise. I could hear it and so could my neighbor in their house.

I discovered it by going to the hospital one night and walking all around it. I finally found an entrance to the utility area and in there were three huge furnaces rumbling. I could see in through the bars on the windows. I didn’t hang out there too long, afraid security would think I was up to something.

I called the hospital and talked to the head of facilities a number of times, and I also prepared a large document on noises from furnaces and sent a copy to each of the board of directors.

Finally, the head of facilities came over and measured the db level at my house, but really would do nothing, but admitted they did have a problem and promised to keep the most noisy furnace off unless they had to run it. The noise level did decrease. It was a very very old hospital and it seems the very old coal furnaces had been retrofired with turbines to increase the output as the hospital had expanded

Since then, the old hospital has been torn down and I had to move anyway in about a year to another state. That area is now a park. These low frequency noises are very positional and it’s very difficult often to locate the source. Good luck with your search for them. I sincerely sympathize with you on the noise you hear.

42. beverley roberts says:

Curious as to whether any people in area of tunnel dug in Toronto were hearing any noises that would have come from generator used at tunnel dug near York University. Could complaints of strange humming in other places be caused by tunnels being dug worldwide? Just a thought.

43. beverley roberts says:

44. Richard says:

Thank the lord im not going nuts.
    Like Wayne i live in Scunthorpe too.Exactly the same experience as you all.First turned all the electric off but then heard it outside.My family cant hear this but my son can.Im a hgv driver so get up early for work ,thats when its at its loudest and sometimes wake from it.Very strange and anoying.