Where is that strange humming noise coming from…

Are-we-alone

People all across the planet have reported hearing a strange humming/droning noise at the dead of night usually in their bedrooms like my wife and myself heard last evening.

This is a bit off topic but as I am in an industry that makes a living out of recording sound and vision I feel obliged to report this weird phenomena that has occurred a second time over the last two years.

I was in the edit suite which is right next door to our bed room when my wife came in and asked me what the humming noise was, it was about 1.30am. I switched off all the equipment and could still faintly hear a low, almost mains hum in our bedroom, it is officially reported to be between 40-80 Hz.

I decided to see if the noise was only in the house or outside so we drove round the local area in Burnside, Rutherglen stopping and listening, strangely the noise could also be heard a quarter of a mile up the hill from my house facing south but going the same distance north, nothing.

I looked for the obvious train line maintenance or any kind of construction but once again nothing, the same happened about a year and a half ago and we went through the same exercise.

This strange low frequency hum has also been reported from Canada and England all with the same story only noticeable at night, we don’t have any overhead pylons anywhere near us so it remains a mystery.

Is mother earth being mined under our very feet ?

“The Hum is a mysterious and untraceable sound that is heard in certain locations around the world by two to ten percent of the population. Historically, the area that has been most affected by the Hum is the United Kingdom, where reports have been frequent since the early 1970s. In the United States, Hum reports date from the early 1990s, with the two most publicized locations being Taos, New Mexico, and Kokomo, Indiana. The source of the Hum has never been located. The Hum does not appear to be a form of tinnitus and may not be an acoustic sound. More than just a noise, the Hum is also capable of manifesting as vibrations felt throughout the body and is often accompanied by a suite of physical symptoms that includes headaches, nausea, and pain in the ears. Analysis of the largely anecdotal data that are available at the present time suggests that the most probable explanation is that some people have the capability to interpret radio transmissions at certain wavelengths as sound. It is well established in the scientific literature that people can hear electromagnetic energy at certain frequencies and peak power levels. Previous studies have found that a subset of the population has an electromagnetic sensitivity that is significantly greater than the mean. Several hypotheses are considered and discussed as possible sources of the Hum. These include cellular telephone transmissions, LORAN, HAARP, and the TACAMO aircraft operated by the US Navy for the purpose of submarine communications. “

For all your video production needs in Scotland, get in touch with Small Video Company Ltd

1. CHR says:

In response to Lisa Sapino in Tarpon Springs, FL – you’re not alone. I’ve also been hearing that low freq hum inside my home the last few months. I’m in Countryside, and it’s driving my crazy. It sounds like it’s coming from below the ground somewhere, and louder inside my house but can still hear it outside too. It almost sounds like drilling or fracking reverbing from somewhere in the distance. I’m wondering if the construction to build overpasses on 19 at Enterprise have something to do with this. Not sure if they work on it at night too? Hope if that’s the cause it stops soon. Making it hard to sleep at night…

2. Rahul says:

Hey,
    I am from India. Even I have heard the sound few years ago. When at night I set for studying, suddenly in the silence a sound hit my ear. I thought the sound just come from my mind.so I started hitting my forehead but it din’t work.

3. c bevan says:

We have had this noise for 3 years now in Ottery st Mary. It goes all the time. There is no industry nearby to cause this.

4. c bevan says:

We have a recording of the noise and it is the frequency of a generator or large pump!

5. G Duffin says:

I have been hearing / feeling this noise in my head for years, at multiple locations (Springfield, Virginia USA, Tacoma Park, Maryland USA, Richmond, Virginia USA, San Francisco, California USA).

Just like the poster says, it starts in the Bedroom. I recall it happening between 11:00 PM and 3:00 AM.

It starts as this familiar sound that I swear I can hear that sounds like the vibration of a far away train in the winter, then abruptly changes from a sound I swear I can hear, to something I can feel inside my head.

My heart rate has nothing to do with it, me getting up and walking around or just laying there doesn’t have any effect on it. Very slightly if I move my head it might go away for half a second. I also notice that the cyclic effect speeds up.

The idea I think about every time it happens, either every day or a few times a week or month, is that either there is a UFO above my house spinning, there is a government operation of some sort going on, its a train very far away, an AC unit, or that it’s just my head and that some how my body is making this noise.

6. john says:

Kicked off here loudly in Leeds 11pm, droning sounds like a loud plane flying overhead. Now vibrating in my inner ears

7. Derek says:

I have been hearing in Brazil (at night only)humming of two tons 61,735 Hz (ton B1) and 246,94 Hz (ton B3).

8. gideon says:

I live in Moreno Valley, and the humming i hear is slighty different than what i come across from what others have shown me. This is the third time out of my 18 years of living here that i’ve heard this. All the times the noise began would be between 2-5 am but today was different.

9. Joey Marie says:

Oh man, I wish it was something cool like aliens!! Probably just EMFs. Or something not excitingy. I would just love it to stop. After 3 years of hearing it every day, all day, it stopped for 2.5 weeks. Its back now :( My brain is tired of thinking about it and what it is. Im just gonna go with it and keep hoping that its at least something cool or whatever. Sigh…..you win “hum,” you win.

10. Jim says:

To Gideon-
    Your recording is a bit like what I have heard, although mine might not be quite as loud, and lasted for 2 hours.

Back in May, I was one of the first posters here. I live on Long Island (NY). I live about 100 yards from the Great South Bay, which is a large bay separating LI from Fire Island and then the Atlantic Ocean. So it is mostly water south of me.

Had my second event last night. Woke up about 3:20 AM and for one hour listened to a loud enough hum that it went through a glass window and storm window…2 sheets. Finally went outside, and sure enough, a loud enough hum that was not centered anywhere in particular but south. It encompassed all of the southerly direction. Woke my wife, and she too heard it. It lasted for 2 hours.

11. Shaenna Dixon says:

We heard it twice in the last four years in Madera Ca. It was a Huge booming sounds, honestly it most sounded like when the T- Rex is walking around in Jurassic Park the movie, Or a Huge electrical power arching. It was extremely weird, it was day both times, mid day and both times there was a lot of clouds I thought at first it was just extremely scary thunder but there was never any lightning and it happened to close together and too rhythmic. I feel like it lasted for over an hr. I called different friends in Madera and they could all hear it like it was very close. we went looking for the sound but never found it. It was a very unsettling experience. I figure either it’s the government or aliens either way, not good. but it dose not sound natural that is for sure.

12. Lisa Sapino says:

CHR … from Countryside FL
    I know … I thought it was the traffic, or construction, and I’m near US Highway 19, and we all know how noisy THAT is … but at night, 3 AM, hardly ANY traffic … it’s LOUDER … so frustrating … my husband keeps saying it’s our ceiling fan … but it’s not on when I hear it … and it’s so obviously not that. I am so grateful someone nearby hears it too, I thought I was losing my marbles. I even wrote a short story about it a few years ago … my heroine was so frustrated she drowned herself in the Gulf. LOL

13. Sharon says:

The hum is also in Canberra Australia. But not every suburb. I’ve been living here for 20 years and only started hearing it 7 years ago when moved from northside to southside. At first i thought it was a truck starting up in the mornings but then i started hearing it at night as well. At 3 second intervals. Every night for the last 7 years. I thought my ears were damaged but i could feel vibrations through my pillow. I thought it was my upstairs neighbour. I’m really glad to find that i’m not alone in dealing with this persistant hum. And sorry that it’s so widespread. This is the first time i’ve spoken about it, ever. Tonight i was relaxing and reading a book. Not a sound anywhere (which is very very odd for a saturday night in my neighbourhood). The hum decided to go up a level. Constant hum. No breaks. And was louder. Very intense to the point where i had to stop reading and get up and move around, turn tv on, any distraction helps. It drives me nuts. As i’m writing this now the hum has gone back to it’s usual annoying 3 seconds on 3 seconds off. Anyway thank you. I’m so glad i could finally share this with someone!

14. Emily says:

To Gideon-
    I heard something similar if not exactly the same tonight. I live in the suburbs of Georgia but I know it wasn’t cars because I live next to the street and could hear the difference, the hum was much lower. I had headphones on at first but when my music stopped I could hear it so I took them off and put my ear to the window. It seemed to be coming from outside. But a few minutes later it stopped. I have never heard anything like it before. Scared me so much

15. Sean says:

I heard a humming noise outside of my house once before, and it was as you describe: a low droning that seemed to eminate from nowhere in particular and could be felt within my body. It lasted for quite some time an did not change pitch or volume until after approximately five minutes, then it just faded. I could hear a plane at the same time and could understand the difference. This noise was not mechanical sounding. Just a low and constant hum. I live in the central Texas area and was wondering whether or not it could be the same humming that has been heard the world over.

16. Susan says:

Didn’t know this was common. Family thinks I’m nuts. Suburb east of Denver, hum is horrible, heard it a few weeks back, it stopped but today it is back again, just a hum,no variation. I have tinnitus and that is always with me but this hum is not. Can we hear something others can not? Strange

17. Barbara says:

I live in canyon hills ca I have heard this awful noise for at least 10 yrs in various ca locations it drives you crazy my husband cannot hear it. It makes you want to scream you can’t sleep or concentrate I hear the sound and vibration in my whole house . At its worst at night.i think that nasa or military experimenting with some type of sound waves who ever or whatever it works!!!!

18. cherry porter says:

I live in a small village in Hampshire, UK and have been aware of ‘something’ occasionally sounding like a vehicle running on high revs, a generator or an AC unit which is not very loud but loud enough to bring semi-concious awareness. It is always in the early hours. Last night I really woke up when it started at 3.59 a.m. I have always thought that it was someone in my street that has something firing up at that time, so I got up to open the window and could not hear the sound yet when I got back into bed I could hear it! I have a metal bed and I wonder whether this is somehow conducting the ‘noise’. It was weird, I checked it out several times. About an hour later it stopped, abruptly like and engine being turned off or an appliance shutting down and there was a definite slight ‘up’ then ‘down’ volume change you often get when something is turned off or shut down. My first thought was that I felt some sort of resistance to it, could this be some sort of programming?

19. john says:

@Cherry
    Exactly you got it. The metal bed is nothing to do with it. Sometimes the pitch can vary up and down and the intensity od the drone. The worst part is when it vibrates so that you can feel the vibration in your head and inner ear.

20. David C says:

Also hearing the humming noise frequently around 3 am. Located in Moreno Valley, CA USA

21. B.B. Daniels says:

My husband and I live in the city of St. Louis. We have been hearing this very same described noise for a couple of years now. It is a very low frequency, pulsing, droning, hum and has a very penetrating quality. We can hear it in every room of our house. It sounds like you would be hearing a diesel locomotive engine idling from a long distance away. But that’s NOT what it is. This goes on 24/7. Every once in a while, it will stop for a few minutes, only to resume with it’s maddening relentlessness. It is doing it now, as I type. It has even begun to hurt my husbands ears. Sometimes it is louder…sometimes quieter. It has gotten to the point that we can hear it in bed and trouble falling asleep. It is driving us crazy. I don’t know why, but it has made me feel a little bit better to know that other people are hearing this too.

22. B.B. Daniels says:

I would like to add this to my post…St. Louis, is in Missouri in the USA. I neglected to say that, and I noticed that a lot of people who are hearing this are in the UK. Just wanted to clear up my exact location.

23. B.B. Daniels says:

My comment is to Wade Link: We too, live in St. Louis, (Missouri USA) in south St. Louis, to be exact. My husband and I have been hearing this for about 2 years now. We hear it in our basement as well as on our main level. We thought, “Are we crazy? Does ANYONE else hear this?” I cannot tell you how glad I was to see your post. We didn’t even want to ask neighbors if they’d heard it, for fear they’d think us nuts. Thank you, Wade Link, we feel better just knowing we are not alone in this weird thing. We even thought of moving, but after reading all these posts, I don’t think it would help. This is everywhere.

24. cherry porter says:

Further to my previous post. My ears have really ‘pricked up’ on this one and I have been far more attentive to the ‘noise’! I have established that the vibration is picked up through the house itself as I can only detect it if I am near a structural wall in the house – hence, in bed my head is right near a wall, even though it seems as if it is outside in the distance. It must be something underground which is being picked up via the foundations and transmitting up through the walls.

25. Paul Croft says:

I live in York ( england) and my wife and I have suffered for four months with a low frequency noise 24 hours a day.We have had electricians, water board, mobile mast investigators, hired frequency testing equipment and even had the Council noise people along with the local press and national papers involved.At the moment Yprkshire water sewerage department are still investigating after I requested two months ago to check a possibility that the problem is coming from a non domestic large sewer pipe running near my house foundations. Three Yorkshire water reps have also heard noises when inspecting the sewer pipe.hope it is the problem and they locate the cause, as it looks as if the pipe is transmitting a sound but not certain it is the humming sound we hear taht is making us ill due to lack of sleep.

26. Paul Croft says:

I am from York ( England) and my wife and I have suffered with low frequency noise for 4 months. We have tried everything possible to pin down the cause and spent money on testing equipment.Now called in Yorkshire water as last resort to check a large sewer pipe running near our house. Fingers crossed three Yorkshire reps have heard the sound within the pipe, but have been dealing fot two months now and the noise is still there 24 hours a day. Low frequency, no sleep. driving u mad.

27. Jimmy says:

My sympathy to you and yours Paul, i’ve been plagued with the noise (or been very aware of it) since last October). Very low frequency hum noise, just like everyone always describes it, like a diesel engine ticking over in the distance outside your house etc etc. I do struglle more often than not to get to sleep, and do randomly wake up for no apparent reason…it may be connected to ‘The hum’, not too sure but it’s quite likely :/ I am in Bolton btw, but I don’t think location really matters with this to be honest, as people all over the globe are troubled with it. My guess is, it’s either something natural, maybe a natural frequency given off by the Earth itself, that only certain people can hear…OR…some sinister technology that the super elite are pissin about with like a toy. I don’t know. I’ve sort of learned to live with it now, but it is definitely more noticeable at night, in the early hours, and more so when you’re trying to go to sleep. I hope someone can get to the bottom of it some day, and relieve a lot of people that are plagued with it…Good luck to you :)

28. Jimmy says:

Oh, for anyone that is interested, this video accurately emulates the sound that I hear, this is damn spot on to be honest. If some of us are talking about a different noise, then this video will help to know if we’re on the same thing….

29. Denise Duneclift says:

In reply to your comment Paul, i do sympathize with you and your wife,i do so hope that the you find a solution to the noise in your house. I have indeed commented on this site before as i have been hearing a humming noise….that like an engine idling! it has been constant now day and night for the past 2 weeks ,my sister hears it too and she lives 6 miles away in Gorleston ,Norfolk.I had thought it was something to do with high air pressure,but no pattern seems to be forming! I live in Caister on sea ,on the Norfolk coast, we have wind turbines a few miles out to sea but honestly i don’t have the foggiest at what this bane in our lives is, i so hope that one day someone can at least tell us what is causing this,as knowing might at least help us sleep a little at night !

30. john says:

The noise isn’t always exactly the same but the description of an engine idling seems the most accurate. The volume can change but the main factor for me is the vibration that you feel.

It does sound like it comes from some industrial generator or machinery in the distance.

I was woken bolt upright when it started at 7.20am. It started very loud then quietened off though the vibration continued. The pitch changes up and down seemingly randomly a few times a second. It is impossible to ignore.

There is only 1 way i have found to sleep through it and that is by using tinnitus maskers. These can be obtained free on the NHS in the UK via an audiologist. They look like old fashioned hearing aids, but emit a white noise. I have to wear these and have them on full blast. It doesn’t make for a very deep or comfortable sleep but it is better than nothing.

the hum is pretty bad here in Leeds. :-(

31. Garry Black says:

Jimmy, that sounds pretty close to what I’ve been hearing off and on for the past couple of years here in Timaru, New Zealand. Last night was particularly bad between approx 1.00am and 8.00am. It kept me awake for a good part of the early hours. To me, it sounds like a twin engine Cessna flying through a mountain pass about 20 miles away. I can only hear it inside the house – outside silence.

32. B.B. Daniels says:

My husband and I hear it in St. Louis, Missouri, USA. We have heard it now in our home for about 2 years. It is unbelievable, isn’t it, that something like this can go on and on, and no government agency seems to investigate; here in the states, or anywhere. What puzzles me, is that if it is micro-waves coming off of cell phone masts, as has been suggested, why don’t I hear it at other peoples homes? I have a sister that lives only a couple of miles away, and yet I’ve never heard it at her house.

33. B.B. Daniels says:

You know, Paul, that is strange that you have mentioned this sound might be coming from a large sewer pipe that runs near your home. We TOO, have a very large sewer pipe that runs just five doors away from our home. This was part of a massive project to divert rain run off to the Mississippi River, which we live only a few blocks from. This has got me wondering now, if this could be the source of this “hum”. I know this wouldn’t explain it for everyone, but this might be something to look into in our case.

34. E Betsworth says:

Just noticed it tonight in Cedar Rapids Iowa. A low hum making the house vibrate. The rest of my family can’t hear it. I’ve never heard it before. I go outside and Can’t hear anything vibrate. Could it be the earth is humming because of all the earth quake activity of late?

35. Lulu 1958 ( Sutton Surrey UK ) says:

I noticed this Autumn 2010 and it has been ongoing since I keep thinking it is a pump underground / under the road, it seems louder indoors particularly in the dead of night..
    I am sitting down at my laptop at the present and it is 10am and I cannot hear it but yesterday evening it started at 10.30.
    As much as I hate it I have learnt to tolerate it ..
    I live in the UK Sutton Surrey and I am 55 years old and I am of sound health mentally …

36. Andrea Newcombe says:

Hi, I am a healthy 38 year old female living in Rednal,Birmingham UK and I have heard “the hum” on about 5 separate occasions (always during the early hours of the morning) during the past 3 years since moving to the area. I suffer with tinnitus from time to time due to a jaw condition but this “hum” is not related I do not believe. It wakes me from sleep and is very annoying that I find it extremely difficult to get back to sleep. No one else in my household or local neighbours that I am friends with have heard it. I have checked electrical appliances and had confirmation there are no construction works taking place during the night locally. It is very disturbing to hear.

37. Eddie says:

It seems that there are many different sources of low frequency noise or hum because different people in various parts of the world are all hearing different things. With some people it’s an intermittent hum and/or vibration whereas with others it’s constant. I think what most of us are hearing is related to some form of industry or energy creation like wind turbines etc. I could hear a low frequency noise last year when I was on holiday in Cornwall when there was no nearby industry but there was a wind farm a few miles away. I notice that Jimmy in Bolton, England hears a constant hum and since I used to live only a dozen miles from Bolton myself before having to move away it’s possible he’s hearing the same as me. The hum and vibration comes from a large new papermill in southwest Greater Manchester. I’m still bothered a lot by this factory now living 15 miles away from it in Cheshire, and was very aware of it when I visited Bolton last year. Unfortunately papermills produce a lot of low frequency noise, and I can pick up vibrations from this factory 50 miles or so away from it, so I guess it must be affecting people sensitive to LFN over a wide area.

38. Jimmy says:

Hmmmmm, thanks for the info Eddie, but i’m not really convinced it’s a paper mill…I read that comment months ago from someone saying it was that. I doubt it is, since there’s people all over the globe hearing exactly the same thing, that would have to be SOME paper mill :O Personally I think it’s either some dodgy technology being messed about with by the controllers of this world….Or….it’s coming from the Earth itself which does produce a low frequency. whatever it is, it annoys a lot of people.

39. Dee says:

Jimmy i think you are onto something here.. I only hear the hum in my own house which has a TV Sky SATELLITE BOX in the loft of my building and it is above my bedroom My sister has not long had sky dish fitted on the outside of her house the base noise is the same but not as strong….. I was on line yesterday and when you look at the size of some of the satellite dishes in the world and our country feeding God alone knows which are all connected to all the mobile posts that are being put up all over the city which i live im not surprised we are having problems with noise. :(

40. Fletch says:

First I was waking 1:11 2:22 3:33 coincidence? srong vibratons in body and the bed with months of nothing. feb 2014 actual pain in bodily vibrations then a break and now it’s back all sound enhanced, bodily vibrations ringing in ears, dizzy twice and low humming like an annoying mosquito. Even read so called ascension symptoms. Somethings happening, no ones explaining. Family don’t experience it.

41. Jimmy says:

Fletch, there could be something in this time thing…although with me, it’s not me waking at those times, as i’m a night owl anyway, and am usually still up then. But, I am often sat here, and i’ll get the urge to look at the time, and more often than not, it’s either 11 minutes past the hour, OR 33 minutes past the hour. 11:11pm is a continuous one with me, also 1:11am etc. And the hum seems to always be there with me when i’m at home. It’s always late at night when I become very aware of it, I can’t say as i’ve noticed it when away from home, at work etc, same as with a lot of the commenters on here….it’s always at home, at night, and usually in bedrooms when you’re trying to sleep when it disturbs the most, even actually waking some people up like yourself. I hope one day someone does get to the bottom of this, and helps a lot of people out. Good luck!

42. Donna says:

Hi all, I recently discover this noise and I’m glad to see that I’m not alone or going crazy as everyone in my family seems to think. It’s definitely the same sound as your video Jim. and it happens between 12-3, getting louder and louder. I can definitely hear it better from my bed. Hopefully one day we’ll find the reason behind this annoying sound.

43. Jimmy says:

Donna, you’re deffo not going crazy :-D Although some people you talk to about this may think you are…i’ve had the same sort of treatment, but if they were hearing it too, they’d understand :/ You have my sympathy :/

44. Elle says:

I live in hilo, hawaii and started hearing a high pitch humming at night about two months ago. At first I thought it was a water pump that was turned on after the construction of a water tank about 200 yards away. But I couldn’t really hear it during the day.

Some nights it’s louder, but it’s always ear piercing with the vibrations that it makes, which seem to be stronger in my left ear. I feel it to my core.

Upon reading comments here, I remembered that I used to hear a higher pitch hum when I was really young. It was only at night and I used to think that it was the ring of silence.

So this is crazy that it’s a worldwide phenomenon. I was going to write to the mayors office to see if they had any complaints.

Wanted to add that it’s very loud tonight. My ears are actually hurting. And wanted to comment that it’s almost constant, but there will be a break or dip every few seconds, quite irregularly. There’s no industry on this island, no turbines, just volcanoes.

Well, I just played the two videos posted above and realized what I’m hearing is a completely different pitch. It’s higher, like a hair dryer or water pump.

Anyone else hear a higher pitch? That low pitch is scary!