I was far too tired at 3.40am this morning to make the connection but looking at the NEW GUI on FCP-10 it’s a go faster version of iMovie for iPad 2 with similar features. OK so it’s only $300 and it has support for automatic image stabilisation on import, audio clean-up, non-destructive color balance, shot detection and face detection (iMovie). For the DSLR boys it also includes a rolling shutter fix and the much needed background rendering.
Lets also remember this will probably need “Lion” to work with now here is a major dilemma…I you are like me you are running FCP-7 on Snow Leopard, going from past experience nothing will work properly if you install Lion or at least for 6-8 weeks, also, whats the point of installing FCP-10 as a stand alone programme when you do not have the STUDIO to be able to do anything with your footage…this is very badly thought out by Apple !
Remembering we always got a STUDIO for our money, so where is the updated 64bit…MOTION, DVD STUDIO PRO and COMPRESSOR , Soundtrack and Color are included with FCP-10.
From what I hear from the SuperMeet floor there was no mention of anything else but FCP-X and while we are here what the hell are Apple playing at calling it FCP-X is X the Roman numeral for 10…UPDATE : Seemingly one of the Apple presenters called it FCP-10 so what happened to 8 and 9 ?
In the cold light of day my first feelings are rather cold towards the new GUI as it is very domestic looking but maybe when I see it in action I will change my mind, does it have a scrolling timeline as seen on the iPad2 ?
The iPad 2 iMovie version only edits what you film from the iPad 2 inbuilt camera which is a shame, I hope Apple open up this APP to allow AVCHD footage. I find the editing part quite fiddly and is very much like the GUI on the new FCP-10
I might have been more convinced by this new updated 64bit FCP-10 if Apple had even mentioned, Motion and DVD Studio but saying nothing convinces me that Apple have a second agenda especially with DVD Studio Pro which they don’t want to share with us at the moment. Apple have a large thorn in their side over the use of Blu-ray and I think that thorn has just got a lot bigger.
Here is a list of the new JAW DROPPING features in FCP-10
- The name is Final Cut Pro X (10)
- 64 bit
- Unlimited menory
- Uses Open CLI and Grand Central Dispatch
- Color fully managed with ColorSync
- Resolution independent playback system up to 4K
- Mix & match all content in timeline without transcoding
- No rendering, it does it in the background using every available CPU cycle
- Can plug into cameras and edit whilst ingesting
- Non destructive color balance on ingest
- Stabilisation on ingest
- Audio cleanup on ingest
- People and shot detection
- Range based keywording – metadata attached to part of a clip
- Smart collections – like smart folders
- Clip connections, primary and secondary media locking together
- Magnetic timeline -moves audio out of the way to avoid collisions.
- Single keystroke nesting
- Compound clips – collapse clips into a single clip
- Inline precision editor – simplifies trimming of clips
- Auditioning – sampling of different versions of edits
- ‘Skimming’ media previews when you move the cursor over
- iMovie like filmstrip view
- Timeline Index- an index of all the clips in the timeline
- Sync clips with Plural Eyes style featue (Not Plural Eyes)
- Automatic control of number of tracks – add and go when needed
- Pitch corrected audio skimming
- Waveforms show levels in realtime
- Retiming in the timeline
- One click to match color between clips
- New advanced color correction
- Improved keyframing, bezier paths and curve display in the timeline
- Color & Soundtrack now in FCP 10
- Ships in June $299 on the App Store
For all your video production needs in Scotland, get in touch with Small Video Productions